Today is Sunday. The day God put aside to rest. I know that God thought through the many plans of all of His creation. As a mother of four, I wonder if He remembered that I will never find one day out of 7 to unplug and refresh. Sure I will find moments throughout each day to maybe sneak in 10 minutes passed out on my bed. But I was created to, and wired to need more. I need a complete day to crawl under my covers and sleep or read or stare at the wall if I am so inclined. This is the season that requires the most brain power and yet it is also the time were rest is as scarce as water in the desert. There will always be children bickering, snacks and meals to make, and calls from the bathroom to wipe a butt. Today I tried to pass some responsibility to Tim so I could catch a few zzz's before lunch.
My heavy eyes close, "How many more minutes does the chicken need?"
Answer then pull the pillow over my head, ahhhh.
"What step are the noodles ready for?" Grumble answer from my cocoon, close eyes. "MOMMMMMMMMM!" count to 10 .
Door flies open slams wall. Maddie enters and declares she has to poop.
Timer goes off, lunch is ready.
Gone was the 20 minutes that I had longed for. Throwing a mommy hissy fit I enter the kitchen. So what should I do? No, really. What should I do? I am not going to insert a mini Bible study, or a song here. I love my children. I love to home school. But, I NEED rest. Even when I do get rest, there are interruptions. Even if for some miraculous reason the rest is uninterrupted, my mind will pull me 10,000 directions. Lately, I have become more and more unglued. It does not take much to crack me these days. Unfortunately the main recipients of my explosions of tiredness are the five people I love the most in this world. Tim, as an adult, can navigate through my tiredness. The four Little's on the other hand don't. What a crazy cycle I am living in.
My main job and calling in life is to teach and train the Little's to be God loving , compassionate, healthy, functioning adults. I don't want to crack and become unglued all the time. I don't do what I know I should be doing and I do want I know I shouldn't be doing. (Well I guess I snuck a little Apostle Paul in after all) Maybe this is my thorn in my side to keep me humble. When I see my anger and tiredness reflected in their actions it really hurts. It has becomes a great teaching tool about forgiveness, compassion, and most of all, mommy is human too.

No comments:
Post a Comment