Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My Shepherd

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I lack nothing"  Psalms 23:1

Really?!? Lack nothing?!? Have everything I need?!?  Lord I must be missing something.  I understand that the verse does not say, "I have everything I want or desire"  But to say I'm lacking nothing and contain all that I need, is just stretching it.  What am I missing?

That is not a difficult thing at all.  I know what I am missing.  I can't udder the words "I lack nothing"  There has been an unanswered prayer and longing that has been 6 years in the making.  So, no David, I'm not going to strum on my harp and say that it is OK.

Sitting on my deck this morning I began to chew over this very verse.  Then my eyes gaze over to the bush that needs a trim.  When DID those weeds come back?  I wonder if I have enough vinegar left to toast those suckers?  CONCENTRATE JULIE!  Back to the verse, you know the one David got wrong.  Now if the bird convention in my tree could quiet down.  OOOO! A pair of Cardinals!  My mom was just saying how she was looking for this sighting!

As you can see/read, my thoughts don't stay too long in one place.  Actually that is a lie, they stay there, but then I add more and more to them.  A giant bowl of spaghetti noodles jumbled in my mind.  The verse is in that noodle bowl somewhere.

Then it hits me as the pair of birds fly to the next rooftop. I skimmed right over the first part of the verse!  After 32 years of Sunday School and church services, that part gets numbed. "The LORD is my Shepherd"  Only when I grasp that truth will the rest make sense.  If I truly believe that the Lord, The Great I AM, God Almighty, is indeed my shepherd, guardian, provider, then yes, I do have everything I need.  Yes, I lack nothing.

So what about that painful, unresolved, prayer request with 6 long years and still running strong?  The Lord is my Shepherd!  Will it ever be redeemed?  The Lord is my Shepherd!  Can I do this one..more..day..?  The Lord is my Shepherd!  But Lord it hurts so much  The Lord is my Shepherd!  I'm not strong enough  The Lord is my Shepherd! 


No comments:

Post a Comment