Monday, March 5, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr Seuss





On March 2nd the kids and I celebrated the birthday of Dr Seuss. I can't believe last year at this time we were on family vacation in Tennessee hanging out with Thing 1 & Thing 2 at Mountain Loft! This year was just as fun though. We decorated the kitchen/school area with streamers and balloons then lite a candle on a doughnut and sang "Happy Birthday".

I read to them "Scramble Egg Super" a book I am not completely familiar with. It is a really cute story of a boy traveling around the world looking for different types of eggs to scramble up. In true Dr Seuss style, the bird names were quiet strange. After the story the kids had a chance to name their own crazy silly birds, draw a picture of them and then decorate a plastic egg for the bird. Names they came up with were, "Beak less 3-footed Owl" "African Whistling Chicken" "Striped Fluffy Woodpecker" the silly list went on and on. The pictures were very silly as well.

After reading "The Cat in the Hat", Cameron & Grace wrote a story titled, "If Thing 1 and Thing2 were loose in my house I would..." The stories ended up very cute. Both kids made some sort of catching device to scoop the Things up.

We then read the "The Butter Battle Book" and had a discussion on fighting and seeking revenge. Cameron was upset that the book ended the way it did, "It's OVER! Right at the good part!"

Lunch of course was themed as well. We ate green eggs & ham, Cat in the Hat Parfaits and "pink Ink" drinks. Madilynn was not interested in green eggs. I guess the color reminded her of vegetables :)

After lunch we read "Daisy Head Mayzie" and we talked about how differences in people aren't to be made fun of. God has created us all special.

Of course no celebration is complete without watching a movie! The day of fun ended with "Horton Hears a Who"

What a great day we had, I can't wait until next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment