Anyways, I need all the resources I can get. This semester we have traveled with Native Americans, Followed the Gold Rush of '49, Hid with Harriet Tubman in the Underground Railroad and now we are consumed by the Civil War Era.
Here Cameron, Grace, and I are watching a short clip about The Gold Rush on YouTube. It makes a difference when they can see real pictures of real people of that time
If used correctly, YouTube can be a home school moms best friend. During devotions last week, the kids and I talked about tithing, what it was, and how to do it. They memorized Malachi 3:10 and we read about the widows offering versus the wealthy man. Words are words. They are good, but I need something to bring this to LIFE! Enter YouTube!
This video is called "Tithe Rap" We watched this about a billion times because the kids could not get enough!
This next song is by the same guys but from a farmers perspective. I think we watched this one about 2 billion times. This was their favorite.
So besides History and Bible lessons, a great way I utilize YouTube is when the kids need to get their crazies out! As the weather turns colder and restricts our outside time, the giggles and antsy pants become a bigger issue. Take today for an example. I had the older two at the kitchen table brainstorming a newspaper article written about an event or person from the Civil War. They were working on "hooks" to get the reader to read their article. No matter what I tried, the sillies had gotten a big hold on them. It was one of those laughter's that not even the "Mother means business" look could cure. Grace said something about the Gettysburg Address and Cameron asked why Gettysburg would wear a dress? See, dumb things like that. I think Grace turned blue one time from laughing so hard. So this went on and on. I finally came to a fork in the road. I could yell and demand they listen and get to work, or take the road less traveled and step away from the task for a bit. So I called break time and pulled out the laptop. Can you guess what I did? Yup! YouTube! This time I typed in "Just Dance"
Now, we don't have a Wii or Xbox or any other gaming device. "Just Dance" is a game where you follow the dancers on the screen to get points. It is quiet the workout! This budget savvy mom has learned that other people post their games on YouTube. We can watch and dance along. It has been a great way to get the sillies out. This is usually the one we start out with.
This is the minis doing "Gangnam Style"
No comments:
Post a Comment