What a day yesterday was! I am actually surprised that I am even making complete sentences.
The weather was HORRIBLE! All trick or treat activities in the city were cancelled. No biggie for this family as we are hit or miss with that "holiday" anyways. I was done with the day before it even got started. Ever have one of those days? There wasn't enough Tylenol and caffeine in the world to help this momma stay glued. I should have read the writing on the wall. I should have called off school and declared it a PJ day. Ahhh, hindsight!
A certain strong willed daughter was expanding her kingdom. I was losing ground fast. I can't seem to get ahead with her. Everything is a struggle. So I have her throwing a fit and screaming most of the day. Trying to attempt school with the older two. Entertain Madilynn. One o'clock comes around and I have not got into the shower yet or made lunch. I have a play date with Tara scheduled for 1:30. Not gonna happen. Several texts later and we have moved it to two. Jump into the shower, have Grace start lunch, grab a diet coke and out the door we go.
There is a church down the way that has an indoor play gym. It is a perfect choice for the day as the weather eliminates any outdoor activities. When we arrive there are gifts for Grace and Audrey to celebrate their birthdays. The day is looking up. Tara and I settle on the bench and set the 7 crazy kids loose. Now I have a BIG topic on my mind to tell Tara. Hence my bad mood already that morning. How do I break this possible bad news? I am just starting the sentence, when, WHAM! Grace trips over Hayley's foot and smacks her head on the metal bar on the steps. No biggie. Kids fall all the time. I actually don't jump up right away because as an almost 9 year old, she should bounce right back. After a few seconds, she wasn't getting up. This is the part in the movie when the music slows down and everything is in slow motion. Her cry is different, her position is different. She is laying on her stomach, hands on her face. I stand up and walk to her to help her roll over. (we are still in slow motion) As she removes her hand from her forehead...let's just say it was confirmed right there that I am glad I didn't pursue my dream of being an EMT. Blood was everywhere! Bright red, flowing blood. Grace takes one look at her red dripping hands and loses it. By the Grace of God my calm mom mode kicks in. I call for paper towels, wet and dry. Nothing is stopping the flow. Alarms are going off in my head. This is too much blood to be coming out of a head. I use a soft voice with Grace asking her questions like what day is it, what's your favorite color. Keep her out of shock. Reassuring her. After a minute or so, I still can't see exactly the size of the wound. I can't get the blood to stop. It's soaking her hair, staining her shirt. Time to round up the troops. Tara helps me usher the kids out to the vehicles. (Hope the blood stain comes out of their floor) After dropping the kids off at Tara's house I rush Grace to the Urgent Care. She is still hyperventilating, apologizing, I still am in calm mom mode. (Thank you Jesus) Now if you wanna get immediate care, bypassing paper work and waiting rooms, walk into the Urgent Care with a blood stained child. I think every nurse in that building swarmed us. I'm still trying to calm Grace down, calming words, encouraging words.
It was decided she would need stitches. In order to start the procedure, they obviously needed to numb the area. I started to feel queasy. I had to look away as they put the needle inside her wound. But boy I held her hand tight as she screamed. Then it got quiet. The miracle of science. She even got her smile back. The promise of candy from the nurse has that affect on her.
We got her all stitched up, headed to the pharmacy to pick up her prescription, bought a new shirt to replace the ruined one. Once I got to Tara's to pick up the kids, my mommy calm mode had run its course. I crashed. I sat at her table and lost it. She had made me dinner and let me borrow "Monster's University" The sweetness of friendship. So we headed home, changed into comfy clothes, ate dinner and popped in the movie. What a day. I could not take one more thing.
This is what it looked like when the bleeding finally stopped and the nurse cleaned it up. It is in the shape of a horseshoe and very deep. Praise the Lord that it wasn't more serious.
Taken this morning when I changed her dressings.
What a day. I'm stressed out just writing it all down.
No comments:
Post a Comment