Making friends takes hard work, at least for me it does. I like to chill at home. So moving to a new city away from any familiar faces has been an adjustment.
This past year I have bonded with the ladies of our Life Group (small group) from church. It is nice that we are 6 ladies at completely different places in life, marriage, family and financial status, but we get along so well. I was beginning to crave more than 2 hours every other Friday. So this summer I brought up the idea that just the ladies meet during the week a couple evenings a month to connect. It started out as a book study, well for the first week at least. We began to realize that we needed each other and a deeper spiritual connection. Our "meetings" begin at 6:30 and go to 9 or 10. We share our life pains, cry tears, pray, laugh until we pee. It is a special time to unload our stress, and encourage each other. We met last night and I am feeling really raw emotionally but I am so glad God brought these ladies my way.
A prayer that I have been praying for years is that I could have a Home School mom that I could befriend. I love my small group ladies, I love my sisters, I love my BFF Jen, but I needed that support from a Home School prospective On December 1st I attended a Christmas Brunch for Home School Moms through my group, Heritage builders. On the drive over I prayed and asked again that God would open up a friendship for me. The brunch was fine, great chit chat, but it seemed my prayer fell on deaf ears again. Then, I forget how, I mentioned where I lived. No biggie. A lady a few seats over mentioned she lived in Cameron Meadows! That is the subdivision next to ours! So we scooted closer and realized how parallel our life's are. She goes to Trader's Point Christian Church, her husband works in the building next to Tim's, and her house is a tiny sardine can like mine! Weird right?! So I swallowed my timidity and asked if she had a pass to the Children's Museum,(which she did) and would like to go sometime. She responded with a bubbly yes. We set up a time for that following Tuesday. Wow! God was listening. I have a new friend down the road, goes to TPCC, and Home Schools. It took effort, but I am glad I spoke up. We had a fun time at the museum chatting and getting to know each other. Our kids hung out and laughed, a good day all around.
It's funny how when I take the kids to Heritage events I encourage them to introduce themselves and make friends. I was not following my own advice. Lesson learned :)
No comments:
Post a Comment