Friday, April 6, 2012

Celebrating Good Friday

This year I decided to be intentional about celebrating Good Friday with the kids. We are not holding a Seder meal, but I wanted to instill in them the power of today. A big resource has been our church, Traders Point Christian Church. They have done a wonderful job preparing the children the last few weeks.

Today we made Resurrection Rolls and told the Easter Story as we made them. This was a great way to be able to reach all the ages of the children. We started with a large marshmallow(Jesus), brushed it in melted butter (burial oils), rolled it in cinnamon sugar (burial spices) then wrapped it in a crescent roll (burial clothes). After we sealed it in tightly we put it in the oven "tomb" It was amazing to see the reaction of the kids when we opened the crescent to find a hollow empty tomb. It was a great visual and a great snack.

We then spent some time singing and worshiping. We found some songs on YouTube that the kids sing at church and rocked it out in the living room. I found a song by Chris Tomlin that I felt fit with our Good Friday theme. I know that some of the graphics are a bit extreme for a 7 and 8 year old, but I wanted them to see in a controlled way what the Crucifixion was really like. I watched them watch the music video, singing along, and was moved. The emotion in their faces were not of horror but of awe and sadness. I was able to talk them through it and answer questions. What a great moment.

We ended the evening at Traders Point for a Good Friday service. The kids joined the adults for the shorten service. It was going well until during the quiet sermon, Maddie decided to get vocal. Pastor Aaron mentioned the Grace of God coming in and Madilynn answered in a loud voice, "ahhhh, GRACE, THAT'S YOU!!" pointing at her sister Grace. Or when Aaron mentioned the blood that was shed, Maddie replied loudly, "Blood?!?!?" I'm sure only the rows directly near us heard, but it felt as though she was speaking on the loud speaker. Good times.

After a dinner at a restaurant with some of our small group, we headed home. I'm not sure what seeds were planted this evening but I pray that they will take root and grow into maturity. I love those 4 munchkins and want nothing but good things for them. How much more does Christ love them and want good things for them? What an amazing gift that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment