When I started the Home School journey about 5 years ago, my biggest concern was if I could teach the kids to read. Everything else seemed cut and dry, but READING seemed like such a big challenge. This is the foundation for everything else. You cant fake your way through reading like you can math :) The Lord knew my fear and sent me Cameron as my first born. That boys photographic memory made learning to read a breeze. By four he had "Dick and Jane" down and was moving on to harder things. That was the boost I need to keep going and help Grace when it was her turn. The one on one care and instruction is the key.
A few months ago, Audrey began to recognize "sight words" like "and" & "the". She would spend the longest time just sitting with a stack of books and "read" like her older siblings. I began working with her and in just a short time, a little reader was born. Her eyes light up in excitement as she recognizes the words on the page and can read them all by herself. She has such a bubbling joy! It is moments like this that make the hard work of Home School worth it. To see some of the fruit of the labor helps the farmer along. So today I sat with my 4 year old and just enjoyed sweet moments with her and let her read to me. Simple books about dogs getting baths and trains going fast, but to Audrey it was a rich novel.
No comments:
Post a Comment