Wednesday, December 18, 2013

12 Days of Christmas

Every once and awhile I like to give the kids a "fun" writing assignment.  Grace dreads writing anything schoolish.  She is very creative and can write very well.  I think its the structure she doesn't like.  It extinguishes her creativity.  If I give a more open assignment, she flourishes.  Since Christmas is just around the corner I decided to let the creativity flow. 

I looked up "The Twelve Days of Christmas" on YouTube and the kids and I had a sing along.  Brought back the old memories at my Grandparents house when we would all take a part and sing.  When the song was over I gave out the writing assignment, Make your own 12 days list.  I knew I hit a good spot when the twinkle in Grace's eye gleamed.

Cameron, of course, selected Pokémon as his topic.  My favorite verse was "Five Pickachu's!"

Grace, her father's daughter, selected a more tropical theme.  Here is her song.  It helps it you sing the song with her words in place of the original .


On the twelfth day of summer my travel agent gave to me..

12....Ukuleles

11...Pretty Shells

10...Tropical Birds

9...Colorful Fish

8..Swimming Goggles

7...Bottles of Sunscreen

6.. Cute Pairs of Flip Flops

5..Tropical Vacations

4... Fruity Smoothies

3..Swimming Pools

2.. Flamingo Floaties

1..Parrot in a Palm Tree


Got to love that girl!  She reminds me daily that every child is brilliant in their own ways.  That children should not be taught on an "assembly line", one size fits all, method.  The freedom that home schooling gives my kids is priceless.  It's not perfect, because I'm a human being who makes mistakes.  But the God I serve is joy giving, strength infusing and full of new mercies for the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment