Friday, August 16, 2013

School Has Begun

We just wrapped up week 2 of school.  It will definitely take some time to find our groove.  Usually by the time we get in a good routine, its time to pause for the Holidays.  This year has the added challenge of Audrey being a full time student.  Last year when she was in Kindergarten (Rachel, did I spell that correctly?) I was able to float her schedule around our day.  This year, as a first grader, she has a fuller work load. 

I have found that my worse enemy is myself.  When I think back at what Cameron was doing in first grade and compare that to Audrey's year, there is a gap.  Even sweet Madilynn's preschool work is not where Cameron or Grace's was at that age.  So I beat myself up, knowing that I am not meeting my "goal". Then I have to stop and breathe.  God blessed me with these four children and has allowed me to school them at home.  He knew what He was doing.  He knew their birth order.  He knew their strengths and weaknesses.  So I must STOP THE INSANITY and breathe.  Breathe Julie. It's OK.  I don't have the same life or schedule as I did when Cameron was 5.  And that's OK.
New to us this year is using a math curriculm that is CD ROM based.  This allows me to work with the other kids.  Grace, who hates math, has found she is at a 5th grade level.  This computer program allows her to learn in a new and exciting way.


Another new thing we are trying is a Bible curriculum from Kay Arthur.  She has a series of kid level Bible study books.

Here Audrey is working through day one of the study.  It is a mixture of reading, sketching and writing.  That way, no matter what your learning style is, you can understand God's word on your level

After week one wrapped up, we went for a walk.  Our subdivision is connected to a neighboring one.  So we ventured out of Salem Creek and into the unknown Cameron Meadows.  We found this pond and decided to make it our stop.  I laid out the blankets and books, while the kids explored.  It was a great way to soak in the sun, read and catch some fresh air.
So here we are, starting a new school year.  I just pray that I remember to breathe.  Enjoy these moments. And may I always remember that I need to "plant with the harvest in mind"

No comments:

Post a Comment