I have to say this was one of my FAVORITE field trips so far. We ventured out to Ray's Recycling to learn how recyclables are processed and reused
Sometimes I wonder if all those bins and curbside totes REALLY get recycled. Is it just so the earth conscience folks feel better about their carbon foot print? I have to say I have witnessed first hand that those bins do indeed make it to the recycling plant
It comes by the truck and semi load full and is dropped off at this facility. Everything is mixed together and is then sorted BY HAND! It runs pass on a conveyor belt and 4 to 5 workers beginning the sorting process. It reminded me of that "I Love Lucy" episode where the chocolate comes by faster and faster.
After sorting they use a large machine they call "Wall-E" after the movie. It crushed up the like items into large cubes. They are then shipped to companies, like carpet stores, to be reused for different products.
I felt really inspired to relight my torch of good and begin to recycle again.
Cameron like to pose in front of the cubes so it would look like he was lifting them or pushing them
Silly kid!
We had a blast and learned a lot. Did I mention this field trip was my FAVORITE?









No comments:
Post a Comment