Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Advent Tree

This past December, the kids and I made our own "Advent Tree"  Growing up in a Non-denominational church, I was never exposed to Advent Wreaths or Jesse Trees. I honestly did not know what these were until another home school mother mentioned them. I loved the idea of having Christmas last all month long.  Most of all I loved the fact that it focused the children on Christ. I decided to have a trial year and come up with something wholesome to do. This season I mixed the two elements of the tree and wreath..  After some research, colored pencils, and the Bible I had my "Advent Tree"
Each day we would read a Bible story and talk about how God showed His love in that situation.  I made some "ornaments" with a symbol representing the story. (colored robe for Joseph, ladder for Jacob)  The kids would take turns taping the paper ornament to the tree.  My dream was to sit nicely in front of the homemade poster, read the story, have great Q & A, well, a girl can dream right?  Half way through the story Maddie would have to go potty, Audrey was complain that Grace was "looking" at her, and on and on and on. About half way through the month, life happened.  Field trips, Grandmas house, Christmas parties, and the tree was pushed to the side.  Mark it up to one more thing that I start and fail to see it through.  Well, no more!  The day after Christmas I decided to finish the tree.  One beautiful thing about home school life is that you ADAPT!  YIPPEE!  To "finish" the tree, the kids made two home made ornaments to decorate the sad abandoned poster.  One ornament was to show how God loves us and the other was t how they can show love.  Advent Tree ADAPTED!!



No comments:

Post a Comment